Click HERE to view the Premium Art Deadlines List.

May 05, 2012

Chunky, suddenly, unexpectedly... gone!

From Steve, May 2, 2012:

"Hi Richard, Sorry to say that Chunky, who loved you very much, is no longer with us. We had to put him to sleep last night. We are beyond devastated. I think it will be a while before I can walk around the pond.

He developed hemangiosarcoma, a cancer of the blood vessels. We had his spleen and a mass removed last week, and while in recovery he developed pneumonia, and then other complications.

He never had a bad day in his life, or even missed a meal, until two weeks ago.

Thank you for all the love and care you showed to chunky at the pond over the past few years. He would pick up his pace and run to see you. You had star status in his eyes.

See you around the pond when I can bear it.

Regards, Steve..."

Chunky, a funny name for a svelte, athletic Golden Retriever, who always seemed to me to be a complete, a total dog, without peculiarities or idiosyncrasies, always healthy, always, active. I have no idea of his age. He seemed ageless all the years I knew him. But some small thing inside him, in just one moment, started a trip downhill, then grew to become a catastrophe, which begat other disasters, not unlike what can strike us humans in a moment, then, a moment later, we are gone.

I know, over the top; he was just a dog. But then you and I are just humans. I nevertheless had a special feeling for him. And now he's gone. On reading Steve's words above, this song, by Leonard Cohen, the music, the tone, not the lyrics, came to mind: Hallelujah

Well HALLELUJAH, Chunky, and a reluctant goodbye. Some of us will always miss you.

Here are pictures of Chunky from my flickr archive.

Comments:
Thank you for your beautiful words of goodbye to our beloved dog, "Chunky". I agree he was special, and he will be missed by many of us. Your photo/video collage was an unexpected gift that will be cherished by our family for years to come.

Sincerely,
Carla
(Chunky's Mom)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Click HERE to view the Premium Art Deadlines List.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?